356 Speedster History
Dedicated to the 356 Enthusiast
The 356 was created by Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche (son of Dr. Ing. Ferdinand Porsche, founder of the company), like its cousin, the
Volkswagen Beetle (which Ferdinand Porsche Senior had designed).
Prior to World War II Porsche designed and built three Type 64 cars for a 1939 Berlin to Rome race that was cancelled. In 1948 the
mid-engine, tubular chassis 356 prototype called "No. 1" was completed. This led to some debate as to the "first" Porsche automobile,
but the 356 is considered by Porsche to be its first production model.
The 356 was a four-cylinder, air-cooled, rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive car utilizing unitized pan and body construction. While the 356's
body was an original design by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda, its mechanicals (including engine, suspension and chassis) were derived
from the Volkswagen. The first 356 was road certified in Austria on June 8, 1948, and used many Volkswagen parts for manufacturing
economy. Quickly though, Porsche re-engineered and refined the car with a focus on performance.
Estimated Value: Priceless (Photo of "No. 1" top right)
Units Built: 1 (hand built)
Speed: Nearly 90 mph
This is the first car (seen with Dr. Ferry Porsche at left, and his father, Professor Ferdinand Porsche) to bear the Porsche family name.
“The Porsche No. 1 was an aluminum-bodied, two-passenger roadster powered by a modified Volkswagen 1.1-liter engine.
The interesting thing about this photo is that, if you look closely in the far right background is pictured the Type 1 Beetle that Ferdinand
designed, while in the foreground the newly design "No. 1" 356 model designed by son Ferry. (click on the photo to enlarge)
Copyright 2012 356-porsche.com | All Rights Reserved.